Your top source for WSHS news

Panther Prowler

First Amendment Literacy

An opinion

This graph shows the results of the First Amendment poll I sent out. There were 100 responses.

Alivia Kistler, Staff Writer

Out of the general American public 98% of Americans are unable to identify the five rights outlined in the First Amendment. I conducted a survey within West Salem High School to compare the school’s First Amendment literacy to the general public. Only 17% of the general students are unable to identify the five rights of the First Amendment. In high school, students are required to learn each of the amendments outlined in the Constitution, but people often forget them once they graduate. Perhaps instead of just memorizing the amendments, students should learn the importance of the Amendments.
The United States would be an entirely different country without the First Amendment. Surely some feel that the country would be better off without the press or protests or school age children using their freedom of speech but in truth the country would be set back hundreds of years. Consider what you have done in your life and you may find that the First Amendment impacts more than you think.

Your top source for WSHS news
First Amendment Literacy