Your top source for WSHS news

Panther Prowler

Prom and Solo Ensemble Stress

Jessica Solberg, Staff Reporter

Saturday, May 6th was a busy day for many West Salem High School students. On April 1st, band and choir students performed their respective talents at the District Solo and Ensemble event. Of these events, 35 passed on to the State competition, which was held this last Saturday at Viterbo University. Out of the 34 events from West Salem that performed at State, 18 received the top score and 15 received the second to top score. These performances went as late as 3:50 in the afternoon. 

Most prom-bound students meet at Riverside Park at 5:00 for pictures, so that gives the final performers less than an hour to get ready for the dance and go to Riverside Park. 

Speaking from my own experience, this day can be extremely stressful. My first event was at 10:48. Once it ended at 11:00, I raced from La Crosse to West Salem to get my hair and makeup done. By 1:00, I was back on the road to La Crosse to make it to my 1:40 performance. Other performers had it worse, with events spanning from 9:04 to 3:40, like Mathias Klingemann, Erick Sells, Paige Dunnum, Courtney Koepp, and Kate Dolbier. 

Senior Ben Sharp and his sister Sophomore Abby Sharp at their solo and ensemble events, shortly before prom.

Although this day was stressful for many students, the reward of the dance was worth it. At prom, students had the chance to let loose and dance away their stress, although for some, the stress wasn’t over. 

Abigail Richardson, Sam Cvikota, Brittany Kothari, and Ian Munger, four members of prom court, attended State Solo and Ensemble earlier that day. Those four students, plus the other fourteen on prom court, had to wait until the end of the night to find out which of them would be crowned the 2017 Prom King and Queen.At 10:00 PM, coronation began and Jimmy Bjorkman and Emily Steele were crowned King and Queen. The night was filled with laughter, hairspray, and great memories to be remembered for years. 

• Student Life

Should Students be Graded on Effort or Knowledge?

• Student Life

West Salem Forensics Team Excels at State

• Prom and Solo Ensemble Stress

Showcase

April: Distracted Driving Awareness

• Prom and Solo Ensemble Stress

News

First Amendment Literacy

• Prom and Solo Ensemble Stress

In Other News

Netflix’s New and Emotional Show: 13 Reasons Why

• Prom and Solo Ensemble Stress

A&E

An Analysis of 2017 Memes

• In Other News

Last Quarter for the Seniors

• In Other News

An Epidemic of New Proportions.

• Prom and Solo Ensemble Stress

Showcase

Students raise money for a good cause

• Uncategorized

Upcoming National DECA Trip

Your top source for WSHS news
Prom and Solo Ensemble Stress