Your top source for WSHS news

Panther Prowler

Should Students be Graded on Effort or Knowledge?

Maddy Harr, Staff Reporter

Schools all around the country are in a debate if students should be graded on knowledge or effort. The reason why this is such a huge debate is because students can give their full effort, yet not receive the grades that they think they deserve.

Out of 78 responses from a survey, 53.8% of West Salem High School students said that they should be graded on both knowledge and effort. “An equal amount of both, so students know material and stay engaged in the class,” said Trygve Lebakken, a sophomore at West Salem High School.  About 65% of students also said that the GPA would be affected if students were graded on effort. “It would improve it, because students that put forth consistent effort in school would be rewarded,” said Jon Allen, junior at West Salem High School.

More than 44% of students  also said it would change college readiness. “Students would be more prepared to work hard and learn,” said Brittany Kothari, junior at West Salem High School.

Josh Mallicoat, principal at West Salem High School, agrees that there needs to be a change in the grading system, however he thinks that students should be graded on knowledge. “Students need to know how much effort they need to put in to obtain the knowledge they need,” said Mallicoat.

Mallicoat has been researching on this topic. He is reading a book called, Repair Kit for Grading: 15 Fixes for Broken Grades, by Ken O’Connor. Mallicoat even arranged for O’Connor to lead sessions for teachers this August. “This will be a change in system, but not policy,” added Mallicoat.

Your top source for WSHS news