Your top source for WSHS news

Panther Prowler

West Salem High School Hosts Blood Drive

Zach Ihle, Isaac Trocinski, Aleshia Furlano, Maddie Loomis, Emily Ungerer, American Red Cross Advisor, Brittany Kothari, Megan Craig

Maddy Harr, Staff Reporter

It’s not everyday you can go to school and save a life, unless you’re a West Salem Panther. West Salem High School National Honor Society hosts a blood drive every year. Students were able to easily sign up. I talked to one student who signed up, Isaac Trocinski: senior at West Salem High School, National Honor Society member, and a blood giver.

Trocinski let me sit in with him while he prepared to get his blood drawn. While we were talking he was filling out a sheet on a Red Cross App that allows students to get their blood taken sooner. He was also getting hydrated by drinking a bottle of water.

Later that day I caught up with Trocinski, and he walked me through more for the process of actually getting the blood drawn. Once students have read through everything they go into the LMC and wait for their names to be called. After their name is called they go to the table they are called to and get asked questions if they didn’t go through the app. After the questions the nurses check your iron level, if you have below a 12.4 level of iron you are not able to give blood. The reason we need iron is so that the oxygen can flow through blood and keep it moving. They also check your weight. If you are underweight you are not able to give blood, because they might take too much blood out and leave you with major problems.

Once all the tests have been taken and questions have been asked, students proceed to lie on the table, as the nurses talk to them and try to find the correct vein. As soon as they find the vein, they stick the needle in and get the blood pumping. They get the bag about three fourths full and start shaking it. They proceed to do that until the bag is full, at one pint.

“The feeling after you get your blood drawn is filled with pride, and a little light headedness,”Trocinski said. Overall National Honor Society had 51 pints donated. West Salem Panthers, therefore, may have just saved 150 lives. 

Your top source for WSHS news